8 Memorable Moments From the Cairo Half Marathon 2014
Thousands of Cairenes descended on New Cairo this weekend for Cairo Runner‘s latest extravaganza, a half-marathon. With lots of special guests and live music, it was a day for the whole family – but for me personally, it was memorable for some very specific reasons.
1. When Bassem Youssef made the ladies swoon with this dashing, crotch-hugging outfit.
2. When it suddenly dawned on him that he was going to be sore as hell in the morning.
There’s an emoticon on WhatsApp that looks exactly like him here.
3. And then we he tried to cheat by taking a head-start.
4. When Mohamed El Sawy got all stiff. From Running, I mean.
5. When demi-god of Egypt, Abdel Fattah Al Sissi, looked on in approval.
6. When, for a split second, we all thought Omar Samra was going to break out into a rendition of ‘Hello’ by Lionel Richie.
Sadly, he didn’t.
7. When this third place runner-up realised he’d spent much more than 500LE on new gear for the marathon.
8. When this hero (Seif Talaat) finished the marathon thanks mostly to a magic Cairo 360 t-shirt.
Hard work, dedication and talent might have had something to do with it, too.