What an epic hurricane of bitch-slaps 2016 has been to all of us! So many horrendous tragedies, disasters, deaths and general suckiness has occurred; it makes us slightly scared to wonder what the new year has in store for us. 2016 was pretty crap for the whole world, but in Egypt, it took on a whole new level of bizarre. Here are our choices of the strangest stories that made the news or went viral on our feeds.
1. The time a man dressed his dog up and took him for a ride around Cairo.
We’re not sure this is real but it is definitely cute.
2. #ThatAwkwardMoment when a man hijacked a plane to see his ex-wife.
3. That time when we lost two islands to Saudi Arabia – then got them back.
What’s a little real estate between friends, eh? At least we had fun tweeting about it.
4. When they blamed Egyptian strawberries for a Hepatitis A Outbreak in the US
We wrote about this in August.
5. When two actors gave policemen condom balloons.
And the Egyptian media tore them a new one.
6. When this viral post made us lose hope in Egypt’s education system.
7. When an Egyptian toddler was sentenced to life in prison.
There’s a lot of back and forth on whether this story was true, but still WTF.
8.When a Baltageya Facebook Page Offered Thugs for Hire.
9. When a man made a beard out of BEES to promote beekeeping.
Photo courtesy of Reuters
No lie, we watched this dude’s video on repeat for a few hours with our mouths gaping open.
10. When two pandas were caught smoking shisha.
We don’t know if this is real, staged, or even in Egypt. We don’t care. This is our profile pic for 2016.
So, yeah - weird year all round. Here's to an even weirder 2017.
By Samar El Shams